Students are challenged to solve these problems by drawing pictures rather than using traditional fraction algorithms.
- Animal Shelter requires students to use fractions to figure out how many cats and dogs were available for adoption at the animal shelter.
- Tadpoles and Frogs requires students to use fractions to figure out how many tadpoles and frogs there were in the tank.
- Fraction Game simulates a Fraction War game but students must draw a representation of each fraction and explain who won, based on the drawings.
- High Number Game requires that students apply their knowledge of fractions, decimals and percents to decide whose number card is highest.
- Pattern Block Fraction Design requires students to use pattern blocks to fill the shape so that it has a line of symmetry. They must then write a fraction for each color pattern block used in the design.
- The Adventures of Mrs. Meatball problem set challenges students to draw pictures to solve each problem and prove their answers.
- Use the Fraction Circles Template for students to divide and color the fractional pieces, if desired.
- Monkey Business challenges students to work backwards to solve this fraction division problem.
- Bake Sale challenges students to work backwards to solve another fraction division problem involving disappearing cookies.