Featured Topic: Coordinate Geometry
Help students learn about coordinate geometry through various grid activities such as coordinate grid pictures and coordinate grid games such as Capture the Penguins pictured at right.   Younger students learn to graph in the space while older students learn to graph ordered pairs on the intersection of the two lines.
- See Coordinate Geometry Activities for coordinate math games such as Capture the Penguins pictured at right, coordinate grid pictures and links to additional activities on the internet.
- See Coordinate Geometry Games to download directions, game mats and recording sheets for Gridlock, Gridlock, Jr., High Five, Grab the Candy!, Shape Capture and other games.
- See Template Libary to download templates for Coordinate Grid: 10x10 or Coordinate Grid: 15x15.
- See Jack-o-Lantern coordinate graphing activity.
- See Gingerbread House coordinate graphing activity.
These activities support student development of spatial sense and foster familiarity with the mathematical vocabulary of geometry.
- The Geometry of Quilts discusses Freedom Quilts and provides quilt templates for student quilting activities.
- See Quilt Square Challenge on Geometry of Quilts page for quilting templates that develop spatial sense as students assemble small squares to create quilt patterns as pictured at right.
- Polygon Quilt Game
- Polygon Quilt game mat
- Top of the Heap: Brain Teaser
- Top of the Heap worksheet
- Directions for making Symmetric Faces pictured at right.
- Symmetric Pumpkin Challenge requires students to complete the right side of a jack-o-lantern to create a symmetric figure.
- Snowflake Symmetry activity teaches students how to make a symmetric snowflake.   The snowflakes are mounted on construction paper and cut apart along a line of symmetry.   All snowflake halves are mixed in a pile and students must try to find the matching snowflakes.
- Jack-o-Lantern coordinate graphing activity
- Gingerbread House coordinate graphing activity
- Grab the Candy coordinate graphing game introduces students to the use of coordinate pairs to graph points.
- Gridlock, Jr. coordinate graphing game.
These activities help students make sense of measurement by measuring the world around them using appropriate units. The emphasis is on constructing meaning for the units as well as the instruments students use to measure length, capacity, etc.
- Directions for making Measurement Man
- See pictures of Measurement Man in Fall Student Work.
- Fall into Math  for some seasonal pumpkin measurement activities
Additional Mathwire.com Resources
- See more Geometry & Measurement Math Templates: insert in sheet protectors for student use with dry erase markers or for teacher use as overhead transparencies.
- See Problem Solving Resources for open-ended assessments that involve geometry and measurement.
- See all Geometry & Measurement Games.
- See Literature Connections for geometry and measurement.
- See more Geometry & Measurement Links.
- See all Enrichment Activities for geometry and measurement.